Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Big K

Today my biggest baby started kindergarten.  I'm not sure why it is such a bigger deal than 4K, since last year was technically the start of her school career, but it just feels bigger.  I think it feels bigger to Sofia, too.  She is in the big elementary school which houses all the kids through fourth grade.  She eats in a big cafeteria.  The playground isn't fenced in.  There are six kindergarten rooms.  She has to find her bus out of a big line of yellow school busses (eventually - we brought her and picked her up today, and will probably do so tomorrow as well).

Sofia woke up very excited.  I had to wake her up to get ready in time, but she was cheerful and cooperative and got her clothes on without trouble.  She actually ate breakfast and was ready to take First Day of School pictures with time to spare.


Sofia bounded outside talking about playing with Sofia D on the playground at recess and telling me that she didn't want to sleep at rest time.  I assured her that was okay.

The whole family piled into the car; an extra-special thing because Daddy actually had today off.  We made it to the school in plenty of time, waved at the crossing guard who wished Sofia a happy first day of school, and headed to the classroom.  Sofia started to get a bit quieter at this point.  She took off her backpack, removed her rest towel (a Hello Kitty find that she is extremely excited about) and attempted to hang it in her cubby.
Couldn't reach.  Daddy tried to help her, but she wanted to do it herself.  She found a way.

 Then, it was time to head to the classroom.
Somebody's a bit nervous.

Yet still excited!  Because Kindergarten!  Yippee!  We discovered that even at 7:45 kids are supposed to wait in the gym until they are dismissed to their classrooms.  There were tons of kids, all lined up in rows by grade.  The kids in the first line looked a tad concerned.  By the time we got to her classroom, Sofia decided that she would rather just go home.  When Mrs. Yaeger asked the kids to find a seat, she grabbed my leg and burst into tears.  "I want to go home with Mommy and Daddy!"
I wanted to scoop her up in my arms, tell her it was okay and that I'd take her home and she'd never have to do anything scary ever again.  But I didn't.  I gave her a hug and a kiss and walked as fast as I could out of the door.
I worried about her all day.  The phone rang at about 10 am, and I was sure it was the school calling to say that she hadn't stopped crying and they needed me.  It wasn't.
I knew she would be fine.  I knew as soon as we left that she would go with the flow and be just fine.  It didn't help my heart.  3 o'clock couldn't come fast enough.
We went to pick her up, my little nugget.  She burst through the door, smile on her face.  She said she had a good day.  We went to Dairy Queen to celebrate.  I had to pry a bit, but got her to tell me a little bit about her day.
She went to sleep singing a little ditty about school.  I think it will all be alright.

ps.  She fell asleep at rest time.

2 comments:

The Morillo Family said...

Awe, what a great account of a great first day of school! Good job, Sofi! (And good job, Mama and Daddy too!)

Missy said...

Oh! So hard. You did a great job. Smile, wave, walk. Then sob in your car.