Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A sibling, someday

I know this may seem counterintuitive based on my recent complaining and complete lack of patience, but I am so ready to have another baby.

and I know.  I KNOW.  We aren't ready.  The timing isn't right.  I need to finish school first, and I'm excited for that part.  I just wish I didn't have to wait.

I see pictures of siblings, and I tear up inside.  I watch a kid Sofie's age love on their younger brother or sister, I hear stories of kids playing together, fighting together, growing up together and I feel like Sofia's missing out. I feel that I am missing out.  I am missing those souls that belong in our family that haven't yet arrived.

I'm afraid that not having a sibling, not having to share, having four adults dote on her at all times is making Sofia spoiled.  She's the ultimate only child.  Yet, is that a bad thing?  Two of my best friends are only children, and they are the most thoughtful, generous, loving, interesting, wonderful people I know.  They have both said that part of them at different points in their lives has wished that they'd had a brother or sister.  Who among us, though, hasn't at one point wondered what it would be like if we had less siblings?  Or no siblings?

I wonder about my future child often.  I think of names, I wonder how he or she will be different from Sofia.  Will they be similar in some ways? What characteristics will make the new baby unique?  I wonder about the age difference.  Will five or six years be too many?  Will Sofia and he/she be close?  Will they still be able to play together?

And I wonder, terrified, if there will be another baby. Will we have the same problems we had before?  Will we try and try and have our hearts ripped out over and over again, never to be blessed with another miracle?  That nagging miscarriage fear is always there.  Am I strong enough to lose three more babies?

My family is not complete, and I yearn for those souls yet to come.  I have to trust that they'll come when their time is right.

1 comment:

Shinny said...

Alex and Marjorie are 14 years apart and let me tell you, that is the perfect age difference. ;) Seriously, no one gets too jealous and the big one can watch the little one if I need to run to the store or just get out of the house.
In effect I actually now have two only children but then they will have someone to be there to complain about mom and dad to when we get on their nerves. Does that make sense?
The only child syndrome that you are experiencing with Sophia now will get better. Alex went through that and now Marjorie is doing the same thing. I think it is just that age, 2 - 4 is the sucky age for wee ones.
Oh, and she won't remember you yelling at her but will remember the good times that you do have together. Alex still brings up trips or projects that we did when he was little and I was doing the single parent gig, plus working fulltime with little to no help from anyone.
You are a great mom and she knows she is loved, that is part of why she feels safe being a little shit for you. ;)