Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks

It's Thanksgiving Eve, and I have successfully made a pumpkin cheesecake, and my grandma's cranberry salad.  Two girls are bathed and in bed.

Julio and my dad prepared the turkeys this morning - I've never had one quite so fresh.

It is nearly 10 pm,  and I still have to concoct a harvest stuffing, pack for an overnight stay for myself and two children.  I should really finish folding laundry.

Yet, I have to take a minute to give thanks for all the blessings in my life.  Sure, life isn't exactly as I had planned it, and we aren't exactly in an ideal situation.  But there are blessings.  So many blessings.


Blessing number 1 - my sweet Sofia.  You are my star, my goofy girl.  I love your spirit, your sass, your heart.  You bring me such joy.  I love watching you be a big sister, getting your baby sister to laugh, hugging her, showing pure love.  I love your hugs and kisses, your jokes, your dances, your smiles, your silly stories, your tea parties.  You made me a mommy.

Blessing number two - my darling Amalia.  You are pure love.  I am so grateful to watch you grow, and be a part of you.  I love the way you talk, constantly.   Happy conversations, complaining sounds, talking always.  I love your big and plentiful smile, the way your cheeks dimple in lots of places and your whole face smiles.  I love your little laugh, and how silly we all are in trying to hear it.  You blessed us this year with your life, and I am so happy and grateful that you are healthy and here with us.  

I am grateful for Julio.  A daddy with more love for his daughters than I could have imagined.  A man who works hard for his family always, whose struggles might make things more difficult, but who has remained strong.  A man I love more and more each day.  Life's experiences have given us our share of challenges, bringing us closer than before.  

I am grateful.  Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: