Monday, December 19, 2011

December 19

So apparently, I am only going to use this blog to write Amalia's month letters now...I'm a terrible blogger. BUT!  I'm procrastinating laundry, so here goes.

December 19.  Somehow, I let December 11 pass by without a second thought, never thinking of the importance of that day.  I couldn't do that with December 19, for a very good reason.

My niece turns two today.  A bright star, with a contagious laugh and the sweetest cuddles and love for her brother, a whole person that I wish I could see every single day.  I love you, Anika.
Two years ago today, your mommy and daddy braved snowmaggedon in DC, endured an incredibly long and difficult labor, and were blessed with this whole new life, a beautiful baby who would grow to be an incredible little girl. Two years ago today, we were anxiously awaiting the news of Anika's birth, wishing we could be with Johanna, ready to welcome the newest member of our family.  But instead, two years ago today, we were celebrating the life of an incredible woman.  Two years ago today, we officially said goodbye to my Aunt Suey.  Standing room only at the church, and some people didn't even get let in.  I couldn't keep my tears from flowing.  My heart was breaking.  At the party afterward, it was hardly even standing room only.  The entire party barn was packed, all three floors, with all the people Suey loved.  It was incredible outpouring of love, but all I could think was how much Suey would have liked to be there.  I miss Aunt Suey every day.  Since I was 14 and stayed at her house while my parents were in the Bahamas, she was my person.  She treated me like a friend, not like a child, and was so easy for me to talk to.  There is so much I wish I could share with her now.  Instead, I remember and try to celebrate her life by living the way she did.  And on December 19, I remember how one incredibly bright star left this world, while another entered.
Aunt Suey would have loved you, Anika.

1 comment:

The Morillo Family said...

oh Becca, Anika would have loved Aunt Suey too. Be grateful you had such a wonderful example of how to be an amazing aunt! (not that you needed one, of course :-) We love you and can't wait to see you sometime soon -- hopefully before Reni's bday! We can celebrate together in WI