For the most part, I haven't talked about it. But then, that is the problem, isn't it? There is this hidden illness that nobody talks about but so many confront every day. This disease that kills and maims and reduces life to misery and is very, very real. It's been a part of my life since I met my husband, much as he and I both tried to sweep it under the rug. And it became very, very real to us both a week ago last Thursday.
Depression. For so long, I just didn't understand. Perhaps I still don't. But until people open up and talk about it like they do any other disease (diabetes, cancer, heart failure) wonderful people like my husband will go without help, not understanding themselves, and not understood by those who love them most.
We tried. For years, we tried. I asked Julio to get help. I begged him to talk to someone other than me. "Choose happiness", I'd say. "Home is where you are", I'd blabber.
But I completely missed the point.
He could no more choose happiness than a patient with leukemia can just tell all those blasts where to go.
After a few years, he finally relented and sought help. Only, the help he got wasn't enough. The meds were working, but none of us; not his doctors, not me, not even himself took it seriously enough. We didn't talk about it outside our family. We kept it hidden, attempted to deal with its ramifications all by ourselves.
Until we couldn't.
We can't not talk about it anymore. We can't keep it between us, and take the medications as prescribed. They aren't enough. We're fighting, but the disease is fighting back.
September 19th at 10:30 pm, I thought it had won. It tried to take his life, and so very nearly succeeded.
But we prevailed. Life and love and luck and medicine came through. His life was saved thanks to the ICU and ventilators. And now, we're talking about it. Too many people suffer, too many families hide in shame, pretending everything is okay, that no disease clouds their lives. It is time to bring this very real disease, with its very real life-threatening complications out of hiding so that it can be vanquished and controlled.
Julio wants to live. He wants to get better. He does not want this disease to permeate our lives, tear us apart, isolate us from those we love. He's fighting back, and I'm alongside of him. We're not doing it alone. We can't.

7 comments:
I'm in tears as I read this. You all aren't alone - there are many keeping you and your family close in their thoughts and prayers. Sending extra hugs your way...let me know if you want to talk.
Becca, that was so moving. You know we're here for you, we're all in your corner and love you. I can't tell you how glad we are to hear you talk about it and bring it out of the shadows.
Becca,
I am so sorry that this has happened. Call me if you need me. You know I will be there if you need me.
I hope that he gets better. I can't imagine what you are going through. Know that I am here if you need a shoulder. Only 2 hours and I can be there.
Becca,
You are such a strong woman and your family is in my prayers. I wish nothing but the best for you, Julio, and Sofia.
Becca,
You are so unbelievably strong and I'm so glad that you and Julio are trying hard to get better. I know how hard this must be for you. I'm here if you need to chat, you know how to reach me! Thinking of you, Julio and Sofia!
~Anna~
Becca, I'm also in tears as I read this. I've been in this situation, I've had this desease. And you're so right, it's just as deadly as cancer. And just like you can't tell those cancer cells to just go away cuz you want to live, you can't tell depression to go take a hike cuz you have everything to live for! This September, I celebrated 12 years of having my second chance at life. Of getting the help I needed, and then finally FINALLY being able to enjoy all the reasons I have to live and be happy for!! My cousin lost his battle to depression at the end of August. It was so hard for me to deal with the question if I could have somehow helped him more, especially since I knew about that dark hole and how helpless and lost you feel when the suffocating waves come crashing in and you loose sight of everything that is good and worthy to keep on living for. ((HUGS)) to you and prayers for your family...
Cheryle
You are so right that it is a disease that should be talked about, and yet society tells us that we should be ashamed of depression and should hide it. Julio is very lucky that you now understand that he isn't choosing to be depressed, that he has no more control than a cancer patient does. If only more people understood that (including my dh). Hugs to both you and Julio! You know that I'm around if you ever need to talk!
Post a Comment