We have officially entered a new decade, and what better way to spend the very first day than...
sitting at work.
Exhausted.
I'm seriously questioning why, exactly, I am here. Because you know I am here alone. Yet, not allowed to go home.
This should be my resolution for 2010. Grow a backbone, woman.
Stop letting yourself get pushed around and used up.
I am worked hard, too hard, with nary a thought for my well being. I worked 9 and a half hours yesterday, only to be asked to take New Year's Eve pictures at night, and yes, please still be here by 8 am. My big rebellion was to be here by 8:15 (oooh, the rascal I am) and compose strong, direct email messages that will never be sent to the person who needs to read them.
I've got to talk to her.
I'm a simple person. I like to be home, doing simple things like making dinner, doing laundry, playing train tracks and doll house and Sesame Street characters with my family. I like to have time when it is light outside to go for a walk, take Sofia sledding, and just be fully present in my own life.
Right now, I'm working 50-60 hours a week, and I'm salaried, people. SALARIED. Which means, no over time. And lest you be fooled that it is a good salary, let me assure you that hourly, I'm making less than $6. And no benefits.
Yes, I know that this is a start-up newspaper. Yes, I know that my boss is incredibly busy with her family and the new babies and everything. Yet, she knew this was coming. She knew she was having twins and starting a new business, and she purposefully did not hire someone to help out during her absence. I don't see how this is my problem. I'm being used.
I have tried to talk to her about this, about needing more help, less work, less hours. I haven't been as direct or as strong-willed as I should be, however, and nothing is changing.
I need to grow a backbone. Tell her how this is affecting me, and demand change. I could earn more working 40 hours a week at Fleet Farm, and I bet they offer benefits.
The thing is, I enjoy this work. Just not all 60 hours of it. I like getting into the community, taking pictures, talking to interesting people. I like seeing the pages come together and having a product at the end to show what you've done, a product that people enjoy reading. I don't want to work at Fleet Farm.
Perhaps now is the time to look into school, for both my husband and myself. Perhaps there is a better fit for me somewhere else.
Because I am tired. Just like at my eyes.
So, welcome 2010. This year, I resolve to be strong, stand up for my needs.
Oh, yeah, and to lose 30 pounds. This time, I mean it.

1 comment:
Yay, Becca!! Let's talk soon! Miss you.
Post a Comment