Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Beginning

We haven't offically shared the news yet, and probably won't for awhile, but I'm pretty sure the only people who still check this blog already know (hi Johanna and Missy!), and I want to keep a journal for myself.
We are expecting a baby!  I got a positive pregnancy test on Wednesday, December 15, but didn't tell anybody, not even Julio.  It was several days before I expected my period, and I just didn't believe it.  On Friday, I took another test, this one a dark positive.   I crawled back in bed to tell Julio, and just beamed about my news.  Because of all the miscarriages, and because we supplemented progesterone with Sofia, my new doctor had me come in for a progesterone test.  Sofia and I trudged in on a snowy Saturday, and had my blood drawn at the inpatient lab.  The tech was so friendly, and gave Sofia three (!) princess stickers.  She thought she won the lottery.  On Monday morning, I got a call from my doctor, that the progeterone level was low.  Not dangerously low, but lower than they like to see.  Normal varies from 9-47 in the first trimester, though they like to see it above 20, and my level was 9.7.  Not terrible for just 4 weeks, but not great either.  I was prescribed an oral progesterone pill, and have been taking it twice a day. We scheduled an ultrasound for January 3, which seemed years away.   I had myself convinced that things could not be okay, that I wouldn't get so lucky again to have a healthy pregnancy.
Today, this morning, we saw another beautiful flicker, the best kind of flicker there is.  Hard to see the actual baby, but the heart was beating at 131 beats per minute, with a gestational sac and yolk sac the correct size.  Nothing out of the ordinary!  Woo Hoo!
Nothing is for certain, though, and I'm still reserved.  Things could still go wrong.  But this was an important first step.  With a lot of luck, we could be welcoming a new little one at the end of August!  Yikes!

3 comments:

Rian said...

I read too, and wanted to say a huge congrats to you. Here's to a super sticky baby!!

Missy said...

Yay! I am soooooo happy for you! Let the insanity commence (especially when we get the whole crew together) and keep up the blogging. We've missed you!

The Morillo Family said...

yayayayayayayayayayay!! You are understandably under-stating this whole thing, but I am this wee one's aunt and I can tell you with certainty that everything is PERFECT. Love you and can't wait to give you (and our bellies) a big hug in two days!!