Sunday, August 21, 2011

Happy Birthday, Princess!

Sofia turned four yesterday.  How did that happen?  Wasn't she just born?  She has been extraordinarily excited about her birthday for months, and yesterday was no disappointment.  She woke up at 6 am, and asked her usual morning question, "Is it 7 o'clock yet?"  I answered that no, it wasn't, go back to bed.  "But Mommy, today's my birfday, vemember?!"  Yes, of course I remember, but Go. Back. To. Sleep.
At 7:15, her curly head got out of bed and found the balloons we had waiting for her.  She squealed with excitement.  She gave kisses, hugs, thanked us for saying happy birthday to her.  She ran around the house shrieking with joy and saying "Happy Birthday to me!"  We frosted her cupcakes and prepared for her party.  The friends arrived at 10 am, and they had a marvelous time playing bubbles, running around in the gorgeous day, and playing in her room.  Sofia was just so excited.  We had lunch (though I don't think any of the girls ate much), cupcakes (of which the kids just licked off the frosting), and sang happy birthday.  Sofia wore her birthday crown, which she insisted upon, and looked ever the princess.  Then, finally, she was allowed to open her presents.  From us, she got a big-girl bicycle, which she adores.  She still hasn't quite figured out how to make it go on the gravel, but she's outside with her daddy right now practicing.  She also got a princess helmet and bell to go with it, and she's certain that the helmet helps her ride better and will keep her from falling.  She had quite the birthday.  I was even able to convince her to take a much-needed nap with me for a couple hours in the afternoon.  Grandma got home from work in the afternoon, and we had yet another plate of cupcakes complete with candle-blowing and singing, where she got to open the present from Grandma and Grandpa.  She was so excited.  Her unbridled joy was such a fun thing to experience.
Sofia is quite the four-year old.  She is starting to figure out reading, and absolutely loves to read stories.  She can write her name now, and is practicing the other letters.  She creates fanciful games to play, and narrates to herself what she is doing at all times.  It is hysterical.  She loves playing babies and doll house and reading stories to herself.  She loves helping in the garden, which requires some patience, but Sofia claims herself to be an excellent corn husker and tomato picker, so it is worth it.  She loves playing with her friends, though she doesn't get to do it as often as she should.  Jay and Ella still reign supreme in her heart.
We're going through changes.  She's about to start 4K, and she's really nervous.  She says she doesn't want to go, that she wants to go to her old preschool.  I'm trying to tell her how much fun she'll have, but she'll have to see for herself.  She is very excited to be a big sister, and is constantly hugging and kissing my belly, and loves to look at the baby's clothes and toys and even mundane things like diaper cream.  Because of these changes, however (and lord, how I hope it is because of the changes), Sofia has been whiny.  And whinier.  And manipulating of Mommy.  She wants to control what I do and when I do it.  Sometimes I wonder if she even has a voice that doesn't whine.  You know that nursery rhyme?  "There once was a girl who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead.  And when she was good she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was horrid."  That describes Sofia perfectly.  Except that the good times can make me forget the bad ones instantly.

I love you, precious girl.  You are going to be a fantastic big sister, but you'll always be my baby.  Forever.  Happy 4th birthday, sweetheart.

1 comment:

The Morillo Family said...

Happy birthday to my first niece! You are the reason I wanted my own children, and honestly Iove your whole Jekyl/Hyde personality (you gotta keep things interesting, right?!) You really are the sweetest, smartest thing since Anika and Reni and Mali.

Sorry your birthday present is late. I promise I"ll send it soon.

And please, go easy on your mama :-) She had to be pregnant -- in August -- twice, so cut the woman some slack.